Tuesday, April 8, 2014

ECCC Commission process

A few weeks ago, I opened up 5 commissions spots for Emerald City Comic Con. My goal was to get all 5 done before we left for Seattle. I managed to get 3 done, and took my portable lightbox to finish the other 2 at the hotel. I sketched all 5 out and printed digital composites of my sketches for each piece then inked them on Bristol a lightbox (using the printout as a guide behind the Bristol). Below you can see process images for each.

Mouse riding a Northern Saw-whet Owl
printout of pencils scanned, sized, & tinted


Inking on the lightbox

Finished inks!

Groot & Rocket Raccoon:
Printout of tinted pencil sketches

Inking Groot on the lightbox

More Groot inks (hard to know where to stop with this guy)

Finished Inks!



TMNT: Donatello & Splinter sparring:
Printout composite of tinted sketches, a quick sewer model, & a perspective grid

Donatello getting inked on the lighbox at the hotel


Splinter getting inked on the lightbox at the hotel
Finished inks!



Frenzied Rocket Raccoon:
Printout of composite sketch with star-burst stock art background 


Inking Rocket on the lightbox

Finished inks!



Celanawe & Conrad on a ship of Shell & Timber Scrap:
Printout composite sketches of each mouse & model photograph

Celanawe getting inked on the lightbox at the hotel


Finished inks!


For those ready to ask, here's the way I handle commissions: I do not have an open list and no not take commission requests by e-mail. I do inked 7" x 7" commissions like these in conjunction with conventions only. In the week before a convention, I open up a list in my online store for pickup at the convention.



2014 Appearances:
Comicpalooza: May 23-25
Heroes Con: June 20-22
San Diego Comic Con: July 23-27
Boston Comic Con: August 8-10
NY Comic Con: Oct. 9-12

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I visited your booth at ECC and bought your amazing Beuaty and the Beast print. I just wanted to thank you for continuing to produce amazing artwork!

-Abrian C-

Blog Archive